In 1994 Paul Jackson didn’t like coffee. It tasted bitter. Burnt. Dirty. Over–extracted. So he set himself a challenge to create a coffee he loved. He started a flavour crusade. Supported by an extraordinary team, Paul’s crusade became our obsession.
We separated coffee into its key elements–then reconstructed each component. From coffee bean to water, grinder and the machine, barista training, and milk treatment – all the way through to the finished cup.
In 1999 we shared this obsession with a few other flavour crusaders and created the Danes Specialty Coffee Institute in Brookvale NSW. A select SCA-accredited campus, we set the global benchmark for barista training and education in Australia.
We are grounded by our customers’ needs. You’re our focus.
That’s why our obsession is about flavour, not form. It’s about the end result, not the process.
We treat coffee creation as an art and a science. The science comes from defining and extracting a variety of flavours from the beans we source. The art comes from the barista’s skill in extracting this flavour through the machine and delivering it to the customer as a perfect cup, every time.
Today we’re driven by the same passion that ignited Paul over 20 years ago. Our obsession continues to create consistently flavoursome coffee that keeps you coming back for more.
Danes Specialty Coffee is committed to sourcing, roasting, retailing and wholesaling true specialty coffees and NASAA Certified Organic blends.
We believe that to do this well, we must build strong relationships with all of our people at both ends of our supply chain. By respecting and fostering those relationships, we are better able to ensure the highest quality through monitoring and nurturing the coffee from seed to cup.
So, whether you are simply enjoying your morning cup or you're obsessing over your coffee's nuances, you can trust that Danes is roasting and presenting the best flavours Australia and the world have to offer.
A timeline of Australian coffee innovation
1994 Paul Jackson buys Danbrew, a coffee bean supplier for offices around Sydney
- 1995 Danes opened its first specialty coffee house with over twenty coffees to choose from
- 1999 Danes Specialty Coffee Institute launched (DSCI)
- 2001 Danes Grand Barista Championship started
- 2010 Danes Home Barista Competition begins at Danes-supplied cafes
- 2014 DSCI became a SCA training campus and an official SCA Training Partner offering SCA internationally accredited coffee courses
- 2015 & 2016 International Grand Latte Art Championship held
- 2017 Most awarded coffee roaster in New South Wales, with 17 medals awarded at the Australian International Coffee Awards (AICA)
- 2018 Awarded Champion Australian Roaster by AICA and new flagship store opens, Infusion on Clarence
- 2019 Wins Champion Australian Roaster for the second year in a row
Join us at our Brookvale roasting, training and retail facility for an amazing coffee tasting experience brewed up by our Danes Barista Guild trainers.